Worldwide Common Currency and Corporate Headquarters
The Death of Money
A recent book by ????? , somewhat misleadingly titled The Death of Money prompts this response. The idea of a common world currency is apparently not original with ???????, but reflects private conversations by various thoughtful people. These people are attracted by the potential of reducing cost and complications, along the American model of a single currency for fifty states. Difficult achievement is illustrated by the solitary uniqueness of the negotiation example and the problems of the traditional conquest model.
The present essay proposes examination of the option for corporations to locate their headquarters anywhere within such a common currency zone, adopting local corporate rules and taxations. The argument is that advantages of unified currency reverse some advantages of local fiscal self-interest. The potential is raised whether a constant threat of corporate tax migration might actually neutralize discord.
- Articles of Confederation The Articles of Confederation were written by John Dickinson, modified by others. Officially unratified for five years, the country was ruled under them in Philadelphia, for thirteen. They taught many lessons, which we sometimes forget we had experienced.
- Whither, Federal Reserve? (1) Before Our Crash The Federal Reserve seems to be a big black box, containing magic. In fact, its high-wire acrobatics must not be allowed to fail. Nevertheless, it may be time to consider revising or replacing it.
- Dislocations: Financial and Fundamental The crash of 2007 was more than a bank panic. Thirty years of excessive borrowing had reached a point where something was certain to topple it. Alan Greenspan deplored "irrational exuberance" in 1996, but only in 2007 did everybody try to get out the door at the same time. The crash announced the switch to deleveraging, it did not cause it.
- Government Organization Government Organization
- Pacifist Pennsylvania, Invaded Many Times Pennsylvania was founded as a pacifist utopia, and currently regards itself as protected by vast oceans. But Pennsylvania has been seriously invaded at least six times.
- Philadelphia Changes the Nature of Money Banking changed its fundamentals, on Third Street in Philadelphia, three different times.
- Whither, Federal Reserve? (2)After Our Crash Whither, Federal Reserve? (2)
- Federalism Slowly Conquers the States Thirteen sovereign colonies voluntarily combined their power for the common good. But for two hundred years, the new federal government kept taking more power for itself.
- Robert Morris: Think Big Robert Morris wasn't born rich, or especially poor, but he was probably illegitimate. He had no recollection of his mother; his father, a tobacco trader in England, emigrated to Maryland and died rather young. It didn't take long for young Robert to become one of the richest men in America.
- Robert Morris and America Robert Morris was an energetic problem-solver. In solving those problems he devised some innovative solutions which have become such axiomatic principles of a republic and its economics, that his name is seldom associated with them.
- Controlling the Currency Robert Morris confronted an enduring theme of American politics in 1779: how can citizens without political power protect their assets from government confiscation?
- American Finance After Robert Morris Robert Morris can be fairly said to have made the American Revolution possible.
- Improving Our Political System Republics and their Flaws
- .American and European Unions, Compared(1) The (1648) Treaty of Westphalia created the modern nation-state by respecting sovereignty within agreed boundaries. Soon, everyone had a sovereign King. Today, Europeans live in republics, but wish to unite for economic benefits. Like others however, they found that hard to do, and so began with monetary union, alone. Unlucky timing: world monetary crisis suddenly struck.
- Declaration of Independence New topic 2012-06-01 17:15:49 description
- America's First Great Depression (1837)
- United States Constitution New topic 2013-11-19 21:18:57 description
- The European Union New topic 2013-11-19 21:20:53 description
- Albany Conference 1745 New topic 2014-02-03 02:18:03 description