They made their fortunes in the West, but spent them in Philadelphia. Until they settled in the West, themselves.
- Curtis To Cy Curtis, magazines were just vehicles for advertisers. In fact, his mags taught former farmers how to manage urban life, more or less accidentally creating a focus for American books, authors, politics and literature. The fall of his empire teaches the lesson that antitrust laws against vertical integration are probably unnecessary.
- Shakspere Society of Philadelphia Maybe not the first, but the oldest Shakespeare club in America or possibly even the world, has kept minutes for over a hundred fifty years.
- Philadelphia's Gilded Age New topic 2013-06-21 19:47:25 description
- Progressive Movement The Progressive movement, around 1900, definitely included Teddy Roosevelt, but it is not so clear he started it. The James brothers sound like a better source.
- Chestnut Hill New topic 2015-02-08 20:27:25 description
- Achievement Awards: Franklin Institute