Right Angle Club: 2014
New topic 2013-11-19 20:22:11 description
|DR F. DOUGLAS JR.,|
F. Douglas Raymond Jr., 88, a well-known Main Line rheumatologist and cofounder of the Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital, died Saturday, Oct. 18, of heart failure at Bryn Mawr Hospital, where he served for nearly four decades.
Born in Philadelphia, Dr. Raymond graduated from Episcopal Academy in 1944. He served in the Navy during World War II before returning to complete his education at Princeton University in 1950 and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1954.
At Princeton, Dr. Raymond was a founding member of the a cappella singing group the Princeton Tigertones. A baritone, he later became a member of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, and sang with the Mainliners Chorus.
Dr. Raymond was an attending physician at Bryn Mawr Hospital for almost 40 years, and chief of rheumatology from 1965 to 1990. In the early years, he made house calls. He routinely took calls on weekends.
Recognizing the need for a space offering customized inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs, Dr. Raymond cofounded Bryn Mawr Rehab in 1966. The hospital in Malvern draws patients from throughout the mid-Atlantic region.
In 1969, responding to a perceived need for medical independence for doctors, he was one of six physicians to establish Bryn Mawr Medical Specialists Association.
The group comprising nearly 150 doctors in nine specialties was based at 933 Haverford Rd., but has moved to be nearer Bryn Mawr Hospital. Dr. Raymond, who was committed to educating the next generation of physicians, served on the faculties of Penn, Temple University Hospital and School of Medicine, and Jefferson Medical College.
After retiring from clinical practice in 1990, Dr. Raymond served for several years as medical director of Beaumont at Bryn Mawr, a retirement community.
"He helped set up the practice there before it even opened. He gave a physical to the first resident," said his wife, Carolyn MacReynolds Raymond.
Dr. Raymond was a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the Philadelphia College of Physicians, and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society in 1953.
He was a member of the Merion Cricket Club, the Nassau Club, and the Right Angle Club.
Dr. Raymond worshipped at the Church of the Redeemer in Bryn Mawr for most of his adult life. He served on the vestry at various times and founded the Men's Bible Study.
Surviving, besides his wife of 61 years, are sons Doug and David; daughters Ruth and Elizabeth Dougherty; and seven grandchildren.
A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1, at the Church of the Redeemer, 230 Pennswood Rd., Bryn Mawr, Pa. 19010. Interment is in the churchyard.
Contributions may be made to the Episcopal Academy Class of 1944 Fund, 1785 Bishop White Dr., Newtown Square, Pa. 19073, or to the Church of the Redeemer at the address above.